1st time users of Netflix might find this article useful, especially if you are outside US. These are the tips and tricks to optimize your Netflix account like a pro.
First, you will need to source for a good VPN like Hola. I would personally recommend using ViewQwest Freedom VPN since works flawlessly for the past 2 months, unlike other VPNs.
Once a good VPN is setup you can take full advantage of your Netflix account to your hearts content.
Choosing Netflix Trial Streaming Plan
Choosing the highest tier for the trial is a good choice for users to test out the capabilities up to 4 users and UHD streaming. You can still change the subscription before the end of 1 month. The cheapest tier is sufficient as you can still watch in several devices without any restrictions.
Watching shows in several windows at once
If you are one that like to multitask and watch a few shows at 1 time, Netflix won’t allow you to open 2 shows in 1 browser. However you can launch 2 different browsers at once to watch 2 shows simultaneously. Eg. Open 1 Netflix show in Chome and another in Firefox.
Find best Movie and TV shows
Sometimes you spend a while to browse through Netflix on what to watch even though Netflix has an algorithm to recommend you the best shows. There are a few ways you can reach into a decision.
– Using reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/netflixbestof . Reviewers update this list constantly according to ratings.
– You can randomize the shows to watch by using Netflix Roulette. There are still some controls to randomize shows by genre, director, actors and keyword.
4. Check out what new Movies & TV Show are coming
Netflix’s lineup of movies and TV shows is constantly changing as the company gains and loses licensing rights for different content. It’s difficult to get a full picture of the Netflix library from within the app itself, but a variety of third-party websites can help.
5. Check out last Movies before they disappear completely
Due to licensing issues, movies and TV shows will be extracted out of Netflix weekly, especially towards the end of the month. So you should take note of the ones you want to watch. You have PLENTY to choose from and plenty that will be missed. Finding out when movies are going to be removed is a little trickier, because Netflix has purposefully obscured that information. Take a look at all the titles leaving Netflix this week at http://nowstreamingpod.com/category/whats-on/leaving-netflix/
6. Essential keyboard shortcuts
F = full screen
Shift + Left Arrow = rewind, Shift + Right Arrow = fast-forward
M = mute
Up arrow = volume up
Down arrow = volume down
Enter = play/pause
Page Up = play
Page down = pause
ESC = exit full screen
7. Share your movies/TV Shows with your overseas friends or family members
If you miss watching movies with your friends who are working overseas, head to https://rabb.it/ and watch videos from Netflix, YouTube, and more with up to 10 of your friends or family. The streaming quality is surprisingly fast. You don’t even need a Rabb it account to get started.
8. Check malicious activity in your account
Suspicious recommendations on your homepage? Check Your Account > Viewing Activity > See recent account access, and see if any of the device locations look weird.
If so, go back to Your Account and click Sign out of all devices. It may take up to three days to go into effect.
9. Use Extensions to take command
In theory, Netflix’s built-in star rating system should work really well, because it’s personalized to your interests. But sometimes you just want to watch a trailer and see what critics think before pushing play. In order for these extensions to work you have to switch off Test Participation in “Your Account” settings.
– The extension for Chrome can help, showing IMDB ratings, Rotten Tomatoes scores, and a trailer button when you hover your cursor over a movie.
– To gain even more control, install Lifehacker’s Flix Plus extension, which adds a heap of customization options including a “Darker Netflix” theme and the ability to hide spoilers.
10. Customize subtitles
In Your Account, click on Subtitle Appearance to make text larger or smaller, or change its color and appearance